Saturday, October 15, 2005

Attack Of The Birds!

Between the months of August and October every year is the time when the Australian Magpie birds breed and during these months they are very territorial and will defend against other birds as well as people.At one of my local libraries they have such a problem with the magpies and signs warning of possible bird attacks have been put around the area to warn people to be careful and to watch out when they are in the area.
The magpies are protected by law so you cannot harm them or relocate them, all you can do is to get out of their ways! They usually attack by striking with their beaks and claws so it's a good idea to wear a helmet or an umbrella when you are in their territories.
Terror takes flight! They tend to come down to the ground to pick on bugs to eat and attack people while they're at it. I was hoping to get pictures of them attacking but no such luck today.
It would be perfect if I have pictures of them attacking me but that's only in the Alfred Hitchcock's movie. So to show you the magpies attacking people, I've prepared one earlier..

..here's a magpie attacking a postie(postman). Some magpies are more aggressive than others. Too bad I can't shoot them!

11 comments:

mob1900 said...

not even in Self-defense?
i feel your pain, dude. we have the crows here, not much different. just that we don't have warning signs and they keep coming back even after our council licensed shooters has been working hard!

Unknown said...

I thought August till October Andy Lau has many tour... :D 2 new movies with the new album as well :P

Attack people ar? Then, we can kil lthose bird or not if we got attacked?

Wuching said...

mob1900-sorry man, not even in self defense coz they're protected unlike crows in malaysia which r not. :(
wong-i'm not much of a Andy Lau fan but thanz for the info :)

Alex Allied said...

wuching: stay out of their territory and that will do. Those creatures were having meetings near my place all the time when I was in KL. And then when I came to Melbourne, holy cow, the species here is even bigger than KL's. If they were to start a international war, I'm sure Aussies has no competition.

Wuching said...

ayumi-thanz for ur comment,personally i've never been attacked but i was hoping they would attack me that day but no such luck, oh well maybe one day i'll b lucky enuff! :)

5xmom.com said...

This is something new I learn today! Did not know that even bird can 'tai sai' (lord over). Over here, poor tiger got killed and up in cooking pots. What a tragedy!

Wuching said...

5xmom-ober here birds sure tai sai wan, protected by gobermen somemore oh!

xaverri said...

seen the signs at the Royal Botanic Gardens, then thinking "wah so ganas until need warning signs ar".. until I saw them in front of me. Super-big and really fierce looking!

Wuching said...

diana-they're big, fierce & ugly, reminds me of their ancestors the dinosaurs called the raptors! meybe that's why they're still like that now.

Anonymous said...

I was attacked by a magpie too while walking back from the shopping centre. That bird really had nothing else better to do. And that's Perth.

Wuching said...

alex-that bird could smell ur fear!