Friday, December 09, 2005

My Day Of Rants And Whines

Today I’m just going to rant and whine…because I just feel like it so here goes.


Sometimes during lunch at work I would go to this nice little Italian sandwich shop down on Bay Street in Port Melbourne. I usually go there to get my favorite roll called the Vegetarian Ciabatta Roll which is a healthy meal comprises of gourmet vegetables in a Ciabatta bread roll. If you order it off the menu it actually comes in a Foccacia bread roll instead which means it is actually a Vegetarian Foccacia Roll with pesto, gourmet vegetables and Swiss cheese. But I always have to be difficult so I'd always ask for a Ciabatta roll instead of the Foccacia roll, I would also ask them to skip the pesto but add in semi-dried tomatoes and olives as well and also to grill the whole roll so as to melt the cheese before serving.

The problem is there are always different people serving me every time I go there and I'd have to keep telling them of my special request. Today I was served by an elderly Italian lady who I believed is one of those types that are stuck in their old ways and any new changes are not to be taken seriously because they've been doing it for so long and that they know best.

So the Italian lady was making my roll and when she was going to put some pesto in the roll I had to stop her saying I didn't want any pesto to go with the roll. She actually said I made the right choice saying pesto just doesn't go well in a Ciabatta roll, it may be good with pastas and linguini but never with a Ciabatta roll. She even gave me an example of like having olives with Peking duck! Fair enough, I think she thinks that I know how to eat Italian food so my preference not to have the pesto just scores a point with her.

She continued making my roll and at the end I ask her to put it under the grill for a while but she wasn't too impressed at all saying Ciabatta rolls should never be grilled because it makes the roll too hard on the outside. I think I just lost that point I scored earlier!

Why couldn’t that dear old Italian lady just make the Ciabatta Roll the way I asked her to and stop trying to tell me how I should eat my lunch! If she had her way she probably tells me what I can eat and what not to eat too! They say you can’t teach an old dog new tricks and I think it applies to her! Sorry nice Old Italian lady but I don’t like how you dictate my lunch today. I’m not bagging you just whining that’s all. :)

3 comments:

Che-Cheh said...

Hey, you are being VERY difficult. ;ppp Maybe not because I've never tried ordering food off the menu.

Is the Vegetarian Ciabatta Roll taste horrible ?

5xmom.com said...

Hey, spell the name wrongly with an added 'i' and the rolls have a different name. LOL. She must have been a mafia in Sicily.

Wuching said...

che-cheh: i know i can be difficult sometimes, just aslk my wife! :-) the vegetarian ciabatta roll tastes really good..

5xmom-r u thinking what i think u r thinking? omg! shame shame lilian! these old italians better not play play with them coz i'm sure they still have connection with the old country they came from! LOL!