Friday, January 19, 2007

Day 2: The Driver From Hell

We arrived at lil' dot aka kiasuland aka Singapore around 11.10 pm local time but it was actually 2.10 am from where I came from so I was quite tired. From the moment we step out of the plane we felt like someone had thrown a bucket of warm water onto us coz the heat and the humidity took us quite by surprise. I've forgotten how sticky it can get over here.

After clearing immigration we had to wait a long time for the luggage because of some extra security precaution they had to take as was announced over the PA. They must've thought I was a terrorist or something coz I had to wait for my luggage long time. Finally we got our luggage and my brother who lives in Singapore was outside waiting patiently for us. He drove us home so we can crash the night at his place before our flight to Kuching the next day.

I had a sleepless night due to a different environment maybe but when daybreak came we decided to spend the day visiting a new shopping center at Harbourfront called Vivocity. Some say its the biggest shopping center in Singapore, I wouldn't know but I can see Sentosa Island from there and they have a water playground on the rooftop which I think its rather cool.

My flight to Kuching was scheduled to fly at 7.35 pm on Airasia from JB. People say when in Rome, do what Romans do and here if you want to fly to and from anywhere in Malaysia its cheaper to take a flight from JB which is just across the border in Malaysia. So thats what we did but problem is getting to JB from Singapore. My family have always used these "private hire cars" operating out of JB that ferry people between the 2 cities so I might as well use them too. I've used them before when I was here 3 years ago but once it nearly cost me my flight. I can't have bad luck twice now could I? I was so wrong.

We booked the car to pick us up at 3.00 pm so we would have plenty of time to get to the airport in JB. They said they could only arrive at 3.30 pm which was fine but when it was 3.30 pm they rang and said they'll be a little late, estimated to be around 4. Thats still fine until 4 came and still no car! We rang them up and was told they're on the way and to sit tight. 4.15 pm and still no sign of the car and I'm beginning to get nervous.From then on until 5 we rang them several times chasing for a car that never came but was always "on the way". Turned out the driver was new and from JB so he didn't know the roads well and was circling round and round the blocks looking for the place! Eventually he showed up at 5.00 pm, wanna know how he found the place? He paid a local taxi to take him there. So crappy can die!

It was already 5.00 pm on a Friday afternoon. Are we going to get to the airport on time? Rich Singaporeans go across to JB on Friday nights to "Happy" so the causeway is going to be jam-packed. Chances are I might miss my flight. The driver suggested taking the tollway via Jurong though its a longer distance, there's less traffic. Problem is there's tolls and he wanted more money. I didn't want to miss my flight so I reluctantly agreed. So off we went to JB via Jurong.

After we left Singapore and gone through immigrations Mr. Tang the driver really put the pedal to the metal and flew down the highway like a bat outta hell! He was going around 130/140 km/h! My heart nearly fell out of my throat. Never again will I use these "private hire car" service ever again! Twice I had to rush like a headless chook putting our lives in danger in a speeding car just because of their incompetency.

Eventually we arrived at Senai Airport at 6.00 pm. Just in time to check in to go to Kuching in Sarawak where we'll be staying for the weekend, herald the new year and meet a few bloggers. QuaVadis will be picking us up at the airport but I've never met him before and didn't know how he looks like either! Wanna know how my stay in Kuching turned out?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

how how???
you can actually get the JB-SG taxi.

Anonymous said...

2nd day is interesting. Paying the taxi driver to lead the way to you is so like Amazing Race. Hahaha

Anonymous said...

Hahaha... LOL. Your story of Mr Tang racing to JB is really funnie! Wahahaha... can't stop laughing...

Anonymous said...

Wow, a foochow got rip off by taxi driver...hehehe...very funny.

sengkor said...

got tips the driver? so, how's kuching..?

Anonymous said...

wuching get ripped off? mor ko neng ( foochow for impossible ) :)

Jo said...

hahahahah... what's this 'foochow' joke that I don't know about??

Wuching said...

yothemans: yes i know..thats why on our way back we took the real taxi this time!

che-cheh: u watch too many amazing race tv!

neo: glad u found it funny!

prometeuz: i feel sorry for u..

sengkor: tips for driver? what do u think?

bengbeng: of course mor ko neng..

jomel: its not a joke, its an insult to foochows!

Anonymous said...

omg,such unlucky day....

next time you need driver from Sin-JB,i got "lobang",no worries is reliable...

Wuching said...

mspretty: ok! kau tim! i call u next time!

Wuching said...

SA: singapore has lots of nice malls!