Sunday, February 04, 2007

AMODURIAN

Not too long ago I did a post on the Best of Bintangor where I ate the best rojak at this hawker stall. Somethings been bothering me since then and I just need to get it out of my system.

I was checking out all the different fruit drinks they have on their signboards when I noticed something peculiar. Notice the white arrow pointing to a particular drink called AMODURIAN JUICE.

As a foochow person myself or if you're a hokkien then you would probably know what amodurian is but somehow I don't think its called that in English. I knew the proper name for that particular fruit but couldn't remember what its called until my friend P remembered for me last night!

This is a durian, the king of fruits. The best tasting fruit in the universe, according to me and many other durian connoisseurs around the world. Scientific name is called Durio zibethinus but should not be confused with the amodurian!

This is what an amodurian looks like. The real name is called soursop but the foochows and the hokkiens call it amodurian literally meaning 'white man' durian. Why white man I also don't know but that's what we all call them since forever. Though it is tasty it is by no mean related to the durian.

This is amodurian juice, a drink made from the amodurian. A delicious, sweet and refreshing drink which I like also but it can never be compared to a durian in any form. You may be able to find this in cans sold in the supermarkets or the asian grocery shops.

This is an Amo or Angmoh or Kweilo or Orang Putih or Westerner or White Man but I think this particular amo would rather I call him Simple American who's considered by many as the defacto Malaysian in the blogosphere.

So ladies and gentlemen, if you put an angmoh and a durian together you don't get an amodurian or soursop. You probably get a very sick angmoh who's just had the best tasting fruit he's ever had or you could get an angmoh who's going to throw the durian's thorny husks right back at you!

The End.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's how Hokkien calls soursop. Haha.

clement said...

angmoh lui lian, there's another one i like, hokkien caled leng kin, it's with a lots of black seeds, but it's flesh is like angmo liu lian, white in color

5xmom.com said...

Angmoh liulian 'cos they don't have the same oomph like Chinaman mah.

Julee said...

Wah evolve to angmoh liu lian already!

Clement, is it dragon fruit?

Anonymous said...

Oh... One more thing, the angmoh is hard, but amodurian is soft... Weird...

Anonymous said...

The soursop is part of the custard apple family but is more tangy than its siblings. They grow in Qld and we do find them in melbourne mkts too. My greek neighbours love them scooped onto vanilla icecream. I am not too keen on its pulpy flesh but have been told the soursop juice is very refreshing. Did u know its also called durian benggala?

EK

Anonymous said...

hahahaaa.....

Anonymous said...

......eemmm

Wuching said...

kyels: and foochows too!

clement: i think u mean custard apple, correct?

5xmom: aiyo dun say lidat later SA not happy!

julee: angmoh liulian it is!

wong: angmoh is hard? u mean the durian?

EK: its related to custard apples? i didn't know that!

ah pek: hahahaha

mepretty: whats the matter? cat's got ur tongue?

clement said...

yes, custard apple.. din knew it's called tat way, but i google it... ya, i love tat... yummy

Anonymous said...

Wong said "the angmoh is hard", he is NOT refering to the durian I suppose.

Wahahaha...

Jo said...

I like soursop cos' it opens up the appetite.. but you are right, nothing compares to the normal liulian.. this reminds me of Sinead O Connor's Nothing Compares To Uuuuuuu...

Wuching said...

clement: me too!

neo: tsk tsk tsk!

jomel: liulian rulez!

Anonymous said...

But I've met some foreigners who love durians, you know.. Some people have very strong tolerance..? :)

Wuching said...

pelf: i've yet to meet one that likes durians..

SA: coz you're the best mah!

Anonymous said...

*standing up ovation* *clap!clap!clap!* lol.

Wuching said...

hijackqueen: thank you!