Monday, March 12, 2007

Dai Loong

Today is Labour Day meaning it's a holiday and the last day of Moomba celebration. I made plans to catch the annual Moomba Parade but unfortunately I reached the city late, very very late indeed!

The parade was ending when I got there and I only got to see the end bits. You can read my last year's post on the parade here, sorry I couldn't bring you the whole parade this year.

But I did get to see a little bit at the end like these flamenco and spanish dancers and some other groups but right at the end was the Chinese Lion Dance troupes with Dai Loong, the biggest dragon in Australia!

Dai Loong is so big that it requires 200 people to participate in many facets of the parade. To stage a procession, there are two lion dance troupes; a musical percussion group; carriers of traditional weapons, mythical creatures, traditional banners, flower baskets – all who have particular significance – and of course, around 100 dragon legs.

Here's Dai Loong, I couldn't take a picture of the whole length of it's body but you should watch the video I posted below to see how long and big it is. Enjoy!


6 comments:

Dabido said...

100 legs? Dragon, or centipede? :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the bit on Moomba, WuChing...missed it myself. *sniff*sniff* have been crook and crawling round like sick worm. Least i got to watch some of it, thanks to u. Looks like that leave of absence did u good. Listening to the body is important...listening to the mind is vital ! Take it easy.

EK

Anonymous said...

Finally you're back. So many bloggers on hiatus lately. Hmm.. what's got into everybody? Blogger flu? Hahahha...

me said...

so far i've seen of moomba festival, it's all about human heads. here, there, everywhere. u see human heads on the foreground of yr photos. i see....it's a festival to commemorate human heads. hurray!

Anonymous said...

And I tot you would be posting bout your train ride?

Wuching said...

dabido: centidragon!

EK: take care of yourself! get well soon!

irene: everybody lazy lah!

SA: you pay attention to details! well done!

me: aiya dun complain lah! what to do if we are just 2nd class photographers?

QV: train ride boring lah!