Saturday, May 05, 2007

Bearded Iris

Right, some of you weren't too happy that I didn't post any picture of how the bearded iris looks like in my previous post so I went digging in my photo archives and lucky for you I found some I took years ago when it was in bloom!

Here's one I grew in pot a couple of years back. Notice the flower stem shoots straight up from the base of the plant and have a number of buds in bloom while the rest are waiting in line.

I bought a pot of this plant years ago in a nursery up in the Dandenong Ranges but since then it has multiplied ten folds. The plant blooms once only in its lifetime and dies off soon after but not until it reproduces more baby plants from it's rhizome.

I'm not really sure why they call it bearded iris but maybe its because of that yellowy pollen thing in the middle giving it that name. I only have it in this colour but there are many different type of colourful bearded iris out there.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The flowers r beautiful

Wuching said...

thankz bro!

Anonymous said...

looks like orchid. one of them?

Jonzz said...

Funny flower petals. Some look dried up and some are smooth. Like the drought got to them or something.

Wuching said...

irene: yeah it does look a little like orchids but not really..

jonzz: trust me its not dried up, when it finally dries up it will just shriver up!

Simple American said...

Really looks pretty. :)

Wuching said...

SA: thankz!