Sunday, May 27, 2007

Shady Ladies

First of all I would like to thank all of you who gave me some suggestions on what I should plant in my backyard the other day. Your suggestions were very much appreciated and helpful in my decision on choosing the right plants.

I've decided to plant these waratahs which belong to the proteaceae family, a native Australian plant. They will grow to 3 meters tall and 1.5 meter wide thus giving some kind of screening from the neighbours behind us.

The scientific name is Telopea speciosissima x oreades but the common name for it is Shady Lady. There's 3 colours to choose from, pink, red and crimson and I bought 1 pink, 2 red and 2 crimson coz I needed 5 to fill up the whole back fence. They have big showy flowers when they bloom and the flower buds are ready to open soon!

I had to plant them out equally spaced along the back fence so I used a measuring tape to equally measured up the distance between each plants and marked the ground with plastic tubs.

Then one by one I dug a hole just wide and deep enough to accommodate the root ball and then back filled with soil. Don't plant too deep or you'll smothered them!

Here's a tip, make a mound of dirt surrounding each plant so that when you water it the water will gathered inside the mound and seep into the ground where the plant's roots will be for a more efficient watering.

Remember the bearded iris I propagated before? Well I though I plant them in between the waratahs making use of the empty spaces between them before they grow big. I'm hoping when spring comes everyone will be thriving fast and blooming.

See how some of the bearded iris are already started growing their leaves. Both these plants are very hardy and will do well in dry condition so hopefully they will be maintenance free once established in a couple of years. And that concludes my little project, thank you for reading.


14 comments:

JamyTan said...

Hope they all grow well.

Anonymous said...

Nice project you have there. But where's the durian tree I ask you to plant?

Cocka Doodle said...

Pssst! Got bury any dead bodies in the backyard anot?

Anonymous said...

Wuching, you are like my uncle lah...He's in Aussie as well, and he loves gardening. He plants nice flowers...

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for 'em to bloom!

Anonymous said...

do keep us posted of the outcomes....Happy Gardening!

Jonzz said...

Nice looking plants. Hope they turn out nicely.

Helen said...

Hey, remember to post their pictures when they're in full bloom.

As for Cocka's comment, I daresay dead bodies would make your garden a real bloomer. lol

eve said...

aiyo..the tanah so dry hor?..

Wuching said...

kayatan: i hope so too

neo: i'm still waiting for u to send me the seeds!

cocka: GOT! dead bodies of my goldfish!

clare: ur uncle will tell u there's nothing to do in aussie so we have to do gardening to pass time! hahahaha

che-cheh: when they bloom i post for u to see OK?

mspretty: yes i will..thank u!

jonzz: thanks

helen: a good gardener never reveal what he buries in the soil! hehehe

eve: yalor, no rain...what to do?

clement said...

your service for sale?

Anonymous said...

You have a nice garden.

Anonymous said...

Brother, i think i crazy liao lah, even on holiday i check out my website and go online hahhahah.

Wuching said...

clement: how much u got?

maria: thank you!

bengbeng: blogging never holiday wan aitelyu!