Monday, September 17, 2007

Second Chance Part 2

Okay, today I finally got to finish what I started yesterday with the kumquat plants. After hard pruning them the next step is to prune off most of their roots as well.

This is how the root ball looks like after years of growing in a limited confine of the container, massive root ball and I'm going reduce it in size dramatically with a normal saw.

First I'm going to cut the bottom half of the root ball off in half. It cuts quite easily coz its mainly fine roots with the occasional tapered roots near the middle.

Next I cut the root ball even smaller by cutting the sides down by more than half. After that use a secateur and tidy up the root ball so there's no rouge roots sticking out here and there.

And that's how they look like after my little 'surgery'. That's a massive amount of roots taken off so they can start growing new roots if they survive this. But if they do survive it would be a while before they start to look good.

Plant them in containers like any normal plants but keep them in a shady place. Keep the growing medium moist and cross my fingers! Let's check back with them in a couple of months or so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is better letting your kumquat another chance hahaha

Wuching said...

che-cheh: if they survive u want onot?